The new year is approaching, and we are all making our new year resolutions for a better and healthier year, but first, before you write down your to-do list, let’s identify habits that can hinder you from accomplishing your goals and living a healthy life.
7 Bad habits
Try to change these 7 bad habits before the new year starts:
- Eating in front of the TV or screens makes us eat larger amounts of food without noticing! It is better not to eat in front of a screen. However, you can eat snacks while watching TV on the movie night, but pick healthy and light foods, control your portion size, and try to occupy your hands with other activities such as using a stress ball.
- Skipping breakfast can cause overeating later in the day. Even if your schedule is tight and you don’t have enough time for a full breakfast, consider quick and healthy foods like peanut butter over wholegrain toast or fruit.
- Keeping sugary beverages on hand at all times. Soft drinks, fruit drinks, sports drinks, and even fruit juice are all rich in calories, and having them around all the time exacerbates the problem by encouraging excessive intake. Replace them with water.
- Drinking very little water. We should consume adequate fluids to avoid dehydration and help our bodies work properly since water makes up approximately two-thirds of our weight.
- Ignoring the nutritional facts label. Read it to keep track of what you eat, choose healthy products, and avoid foods that are high in fat, salt, and added sugars.
- Spending a lot of time in front of screens. Once again, screens and modern devices come in and prevent us from building healthy habits, but this time through affecting our physical activity. Reduce your screen time and increase your physical activity via walking, cycling, or swimming.
- Smoking is a major contributor to heart disease. But don’t panic; after a year of not smoking, your chance of having a heart attack is cut in half.
Healthy habits for the new year
- Perform regular check-ups.
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Eat healthy foods.
- Exercise and maintain your physical activity.
- Apply sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun’s rays.
Your mental health
The importance of mental health is often underestimated, although it is required for us to function at all phases of our life. Spend more time and energy on your mental wellness. Psychological treatment, like physical health care, should be continuous and not limited to times when you are irritated, worried, or angry.
You can take care of your mental health by:
- Sleep well and long enough.
- Spend more time with your friends and family
- Set aside time to enjoy your favorite hobby, learn something new, or just relax.
- To get rid of bad habits such as smoking and reduce alcohol and caffeine.
- Practice meditation and relaxation.
Comment below with your New Year’s plans and the healthy habits that you are going to adopt.