- By simple definition
It is a skin condition that leads to an itchy and flaky scalp. Both the appearance and the itchy feeling are annoying to patients.
What causes dandruff?
Causes of dandruff are numerous and include:
- Oil buildup on the scalp
- Having dry skin or using products that leads to dry skin.
- Medical conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and fungal infections.
How to treat it?
Study your hair:
- If you have an oily scalp, using anti-dandruff shampoo daily can help you.
- If you have dry skin, use the shampoo once or twice a week. Also, apply oils or moisturizers to your hair to maintain the moisture in your scalp.
- For fungal-caused dandruff, use a shampoo with an antifungal agent.
- Limit usage of hair styling products to avoid products build-up on the skin.
What are the types of shampoos that can be used?
- Pyrithione zinc shampoos (have both antibacterial and antifungal agents)
- Head and shoulders
- Bioderma Node DS Shampoo
2. Antifungal based shampoos (contain miconazole 2%)
- Nizoral shampoo
- Sebizole shampoo
- Vavo shampoo
3. Coal Tar and salicylic acid-based shampoos (reduce scaling of the scalp)
- Ionil T shampoo
You can use tea tree oil as a natural antiseptic and conditioner, simply add some drops to your shampoo and massage it on your hair.